Saturday, August 30, 2008

Another New Gig

No, I haven't changed jobs again. Last Thursday, I got a peculiar e-mail from Tommy indicating that he had a "proposal" for me which he would speak to me about on Sunday. After confirming that it wasn't a marriage proposal, I speculated that maybe Brandon had decided not to return to ICC as worship leader.

After Sunday's service in North Park (which was awesome), I approached Tommy about his proposal, but he said I'd have to wait on a few things before we talked. About two hours later I received a call from Brandon and, as I speculated, he passed the torch to me. He feels that God is leading him in another direction and that it was time for him to move on. Even though I will miss playing with him and seeing him regularly, I am really excited about this opportunity to continue to lead the worship band on a full-time basis. God never ceases to amaze me in the ways He works. I have gone from not going to church at all, to worship band member, to worship leader in 14 months time.

God has obviously been planning this for a long time and I took some time to reflect on one of my biggest passions this week. I can remember playing records (yes I am that old) with my sister on my dad's old stereo (which had an 8-track player), really getting into music when I was in seventh grade with the guidance of my uncle Jimmy, becoming obsessed with bands like Van Halen, Kiss and Rush, going to the first of dozens of concerts in 1985, driving mom and dad crazy with the racket coming out of my room, finally picking up a guitar in 1992 after years of wanting to play, playing along with my favorite CD's night after night, and finally getting the guts to play in front of people last fall (with a lot of prodding from Tommy).

I guess music truly is my gift and what God wants me to do at ICC. I am so psyched about this opportunity to help my friend grow the church, help bring people into a relationship with Jesus and glorify God all at the same time. It's not all that profound, but all I can say is WOW!

No comments: