Saturday, August 9, 2008

My New Gig

Well, after months of praying about it, investigating other options, arguing with Dena about it, and having an opportunity present itself, I have decided to become a semi-retired electrician.

Back in June, I decided to send a resume' to Accountemps just to see what they could do for me. It took about a month, but they were able to place me in an office position with a pharmacy about five miles north of my home. The company contracts with various nursing homes and assisted living homes in the region to provide their residents with all their pharmaceutical needs each month. I am working in the billing department, something that I did for ten years prior to becoming an electrician.

I started with them three weeks ago, and I must say that I am quickly learning what needs to be done and am very happy so far. The job requires a lot of analysis of reports and can get a little boring, but I have had more than my share of excitement at work over the past year and a half. I have no delusion of grandeur this time - I just want to do a good job for them and go home to do the things that really matter to me. It's a very casual atmosphere and my co-workers all seem like they're pretty cool - I even worked with one of them for a time about four years ago. I have my own office, although it doubles as a makeshift kitchenette - which is okay because I get to at least say hi to every one who comes in the room. I get to listen to my tunes all day long too.

My favorite part about the job (besides the five mile commute and wearing jeans and a t-shirt to work), however, is that I am utilizing my lunch break to dig into God's word. Anybody who knows me, knows that I devour books at a rate of about one every ten years. I'm just not much of reader and have really been slacking on reading my Bible since Tommy and I got so busy that we can't meet as regularly as we once did. Not anymore. I have spent at least 15-20 minutes each day just reading and digesting what I have read. What an awesome fringe benefit!

I have even been afforded the opportunity of doing a little ministering already. I'm sure everyone noticed that I was usually carrying either my Bible study workbook or my Bible with me and I made it a point to keep them visible on my desk in the hope that someone might ask me about my faith. I even prayed with my small group about that very thing.

Well, that prayer was answered this week when one of my co-workers and I struck up a conversation about tattoos of all things (my next tattoo is going to be a cross and crown of thorns), which led into a discussion about my faith, ICC and Christians in general. She has the same fears and doubts about church and Christians as I did before I found ICC. She wants to have a closer relationship with God but she just can't seem to find a place where she fits in - sounds familiar. I invited her to come to ICC, shared a bit about the "More Jesus, Less Crap" philosophy and directed her to their web-site and to my blog. After spending a little time doing some investigation, she was totally psyched about it and said she would try to make it this Sunday! I'm praying that she will be able to attend. At the very least, she will be able to check out the messages that Tommy has posted on the web-site.

To sum up, I just want to say that I am very grateful for this new opportunity that God has placed before me. Along with the steady paycheck I was looking for, it's providing me with time to read my Bible, the opportunity to share my faith with others, and the energy to get involved in and stay involved in the areas of the church where He has led me. That's pretty awesome stuff in only three weeks on the job!

Not getting shocked as often is a pretty good thing too!

No comments: